PADMAKARA MULTILINGUAL LEXICON TRANSLATOR'S AREA
བོད་སྐད་ tibetan sanskrit deutsch english español français italiano polski português
Goals and principles [draft]
This lexicon hopes to provide a platform to accomplish the following aims:
Preserve and share research among fellow translators:
- the research done about new Tibetan terms that are not included in the usual dictionaries or that a teacher or khenpo has elucidated a different meaning and so on.
- the new translations of terms that are developed by the translators for specific texts or in general.
- the reasons why a term should be rendered in specific ways, so on.
Cross language and cross translation view:
- Enabling sharing and comparison of translation options for the same term in different languages, and/or by different translators.
- Learning the different views. Different options are welcome as the aim is not to arrive at a single translation option. When there are differing options, the initials of the translator should be included.
- Enabling a platform for a gradual and natural stabilisation and standardisation of terminology between translators. For this, it is important to complement the term with the reasonings behind a specific option.
Provide a resource for those translating from Padmakara works in English or French
- Translations done from English or French into other languages often struggle to have precision in meaning and terminology due to lack of knowledge of the terminology used. (For example, "defilement" is consistently translated as "obscurecimento" i.e. "sgrib pa" rather than an equivalent to kleśa / nyon mongs; and many more examples of mistranslations can be given.)
Create an embryo for language dictionaries of Tibetan or Sanskrit into other languages:
- At present, nearly all language resources for translating Dharma texts are in English, this way we hope to also develop a platform for the development of resources in other languages.
Create a knowledge base
- Gathering the information collected by translators in the course of their work.
- Compile existing glossary definitions in many languages and offering that information to the public.
- Easy access to glossary definitions from previously published books, in any language, to make new glossary definition in new publications.